IDS mailing list archives

RE: True definition of Intrusion Prevention

From: "Teicher, Mark (Mark)" <teicher () avaya com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:14:28 -0700

Actually,

It isn't that hard to do, since the technology has improved over the
years.  Network topologies are much easier to product with passive
network scanning.  Taking the information from the network topology, and
building a nice table of the IP, hostnames and operating systems then
becomes an exercise in regular expression parsing. Once the information
is parsed, sorting by o/s, than correlating the o/s information, once
can then sift through the crud of network attacks, discards the one that
don't apply to the particular O/S and just focus on monitoring for
specifics.  It then becomes an exercise is refining the binary tree
algorithms for speed.

If you an MSP lurking the list looking for good ideas, I got lots of
them :)

/m