IDS mailing list archives

RE: True definition of Intrusion Prevention

From: "Teicher, Mark (Mark)" <teicher () avaya com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 08:28:29 -0700

Actually, it is the cow from "Me, Myself and Irene"..
How many times did Jim Carrey shoot the cow ??

I agree with your points, except for your point regarding "Holistic
Security".  Holistic security has been stated many time in books and
statements made by Brent Chapman, Marcus Ranum, Steve Bellovin and Bill
Cheswick.  Along the way, others discarded the theory for more marketing
type hype, SANS Top 20, IDS, HIDS, IPS, etc, etc.  But essentially,
everyone is talking about the same thing.  Holistic security is the
theory that drives infosec practitioners to improve security of an
enterprise within the confines of the enterprise.  Look at PKI, very
straight forward architecture, but yet very few enterprise have fully
implemented it.
Same can be said for Single Sign On (SSO).  How many vendors are in that
space?

A quote from Marcus J. Ranum's book "The Myth of Homeland Security"
Marcus states "If you consider the hundreds or thousands of applications
and crucial files on a given computer or network, you can imagine that
the number of possible combinations for mayhem is literally
astronomical."  (Available via Amazon..[blatant advertisement here, it
is on my recommended book list] :)

Most commercial and open source operating systems and security products
contains countless bugs because when the core architecture was written,
it was designed to be feature rich (i.e. a slick UI,etc), and offer the
customer a few key security features that unless they were really
knowledgeable, a majority of the security features were never enabled,
since Internet enabled services are designed for availability, and not
security.

/cheers

/m