IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS is dead, etc

From: Tom Arseneault <TArseneault () counterpane com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:00:31 -0700

My point was "In a perfect world with unlimited resources" monitoring for
all types of attacks, whether or not your vulnerable, gives you a good
indicator of who your enemies are and what they are doing. And I agree that
in most cases this is not pratical, not enough people, money, or compute
resource, but that does not mean it's a bad idea.

Also signatures are not perfect, there might be two closely releated
vulnerabilities one being patch the other not which could match the same
signature and if you ignor the signature because you think your patched you
could be wrong. No, I can't think of any examples but since his was a
"philosophical question" and not a specific point I felt it was valid to
stretch the bounds of probability a bit.

Here is my overall IDS opinion (mentioned just so I can get feed back as to
how close/far from the mark I am) an external (outside the firewall) NIDS
system that just logs, only used to give general attack trends but does not
give alerts, and internal NIDS systems at strategic locations to closely
monitor the important systems which do give alerts. Of course generous
amounts of HIDS and other technology sprinkled along the way to round out
the package.

Sorry about leaving out the "In a perfect world with unlimited resources"
part, it may have made my original post more in line with others thinking.

Thomas J. Arseneault
Security Engineer
Counterpane Internet Security
tarseneault () counterpane com