IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS is dead, etc

From: "maz" <maz () short-b us>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:30:38 -0400

I personally don't care about malicious traffic that doesn't do any harm.
The majority of my outside IDS (outside the firewall) alerts I consider
false positives, due to them not getting through patches or the firewall.
The policy monkeys here care about it so I log them.

I really only pay attention to the internal IDS modules I have installed.  I
want to know when my users create alerts so I can have them reprimanded for
what ever they did, or if they stupidly opened up something on their desk
tops.

As for older vulnerabilities that I know are completely patched against, I
wish I could ignore the alerts completely, or turn off the signatures.  Try
telling that to a policy maker, they want everything done to the "t" and
don't even know why or how.

Regards,