Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall best practices

From: Mathew Want <imortl1 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:37:30 +1000

Cian,

I agree that it would generate a warning but the issue you then have
is users go "Huh?, what?" and click on allow anyway.

To quote a presenter at a security course I attended "If the user is
given the choice between security and seeing a dancing snowman, the
snowman wins every time!".

The "advantage" that SSL had for the general populous for nonEvil(tm)
purposes was that we could say that if the little padlock was there
when they went to their internet banking site that their data was
safe*. These new technologies, although neccessary for a host of other
reasons such ad data leakage, covert communications etc etc etc
unfortunately push the responsibility for the security of personal
data closer to the people that it important to. Unfortunately they are
the least able to deal with it in general and as much as we TRY to
teach them ( and I do really try). We do try to protect users from
themselves, but there is only so much we can do.

I am not saying that the MITM function is not without its merrit (in
whatever form you see as the best for security) but it does then pose
other interesting positions to consider.

Just my $AU0.02 worth!

M@

* Yes I know "safe" is a relative term in this context, but youget the idea! :-)