Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall best practices

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:57:59 -0400

Jason Lewis wrote:
While I believe the only allow what you need is a good rule, it's
impossible to enforce in a lot of scenarios.  How many small
businesses have no firewall admins and do the configuration
themselves?  Do you think they are going to spend the time examining
what ports should be open based on what their users are using?  No,
they will open ports until it works.  Last time I checked every
linksys router comes with allow all outbound by default.  How many
people change that?

This is laziness on the part of commodity router/firewall vendors. Some of us are old enough to recall configuration "wizards" on dialup and ISDN routers (ACC, Livingston, Compatible Systems...). The wizards asked "what applications do you want to run?" This is known art, not rocket science. While the application mix is much broader today than 1995, it is still possible to give even residential users enough context to make an informed choice.

The point of my question was if you're forced into a position to open
everything, what ports *should* you always block and why.  The
response below doesn't help that IT guy with no experience or time to
research everything.

There is no definitive list. Lots of badness exits networks via mail and web ports, should you block these? Any list you come up with will be long, and long is complex, and complex is "fail" for residential and SMB.

For example,  blocking SMB and NT RPC inbound and outbound should be a
high priority.  Ports 135,137-139, 445.  A lot of worms are propagated
via these ports and when you attempt to do DNS lookups, windows will
also try to connect outbound via SMB.  I had hoped someone had already
put this info on the web somewhere, but I have yet to find it.

If you haven't found this yet, you aren't looking in the right places (and I don't mean to sound mean). I searched "block port 445 at firewall" (www.grc.com/port_445.htm) and "block port 445 linksys" (http://forums.cabling-design.com/xdsl/Netopia-3500-LinkSys-Port-135-and-445-in-Log-Files-1034-.htm)

Marcus's thoughts on default permit are here:
http://www.ranum.com/security/computer_security/editorials/dumb/index.html
 Again, I agree with the thoughts, but for a hardware vendor selling
to a home user or a SMB, it's never going to happen.  The user wants
to buy a device, plug it in and have it work.  They don't want to
spend time configuring things.  That's reality, default deny is a
dream.

I suspect we will have to agree to disagree here. Default deny is an imperative.