Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall best practices

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:13:56 -0400

Marcus,

The problem isn't exclusively that SSL is MITMable: it's (broadly) the lack of or limited clue when assessing risk. While SSL may be in your terms crappy security, you can use it effectively enough so that you aren't the low hanging fruit, and today, there is so much low hanging fruit, effective security is pretty much reduced to creating the perception that someone else is an easier target.

For example, in many scenarios where SSL is terminated at the firewall, the firewall is the trusted party identified by the server certificate. So the risk of trusting "the firewall" varies according to deployment. Thus, if "the firewall" were an adapter on the emerchant/efinance server hardware or a blade in a chassis also hosting the emerchant/efinance server, risk will be entirely different from "the firewall" being an appliance several LAN hops away from the server, several countries away in the same virtual/cloud infrastructure, or sitting on a shelf behind a teller at a bank.

Some folks actually consider these factors. In many cases they raise themselves above the low hanging fruit. But that's pretty much where the majority of "security vision" stops or stumbles. I'll give two examples of why this is "fail". I'm sure others can chime in other equally demoralizing examples...

1) Folks mostly consider server side infrastructure security when they do risk and much of the badness occurs in clients. Man in the browser malware like Zeus is much more of a problem than SSL MITMs and it's a much easier attack. Threats of this sort are trivialized in risk assessments that naively mandate desktop software security and automating patches.

2) Many of the purportedly smarter folks use consumer-oriented registrars or ISPs for domain registration, DNS hosting, and use dirt cheap certificates that aren't worth the electrons you'd need to transmit them. These are almost *never* considered in risk assessments.

Sorry for the ramble. But here's a homework assignment. Do a "search" on "bank", then check WHOIS on the domains of a random set of financial institutions returned in the search and you'll find a surprising number of banks who register domain names through dirt cheap registrars (hehe... check your own domains). Look at the client lock status of these registered domains and you'll see most are vulnerable; worse, ask the IT folks at these companies and few can tell you what security measures the registrars implement and even fewer know how to lock domain names so they can't be deleted or transferred, or so that their DNS configurations can't be altered.

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Harrell, Matthew wrote:
This then allows the firewall to scan the data in the packets[...]

I have always been kind of mind-boggled that The Internet makes
abundant use of such crappy security that it's so trivially
susceptible to MITM attacks. And it boggles me further that many
technologists invest in technology for doing exactly this, given
that the expected reaction (years ago!) should have been "time
to fix SSL!" not "oh, cool! a 'secure' socket layer that is
trivially MITMable! how convenient!" If there's anything that
gives us a real indication of where security sits on the trade-off
scale between "nothing at all" and "utter crap" it's the SSL
situation. I guess that having crypto that sucks so badly that
it's breakable is easier than having to actually ask the question,
"if we are 'concerned about data leakage' why are we allowing
outbound encrypted tunnels?"

In Marcus-land the way we'd do it is have crypto that didn't
suck, and firewall rules that permitted outgoing crypto only
to (say, if online banking was an authorized activity during
office hours) a set of supported sites. Yeah, yeah, I know,
Marcus-land isn't a real place...

mjr.