Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SCADA

From: Chris Blask <chris () blask org>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:30:27 -0700 (PDT)

"Bertolett, Richard" <Richard.Bertolett () ci austin tx us> wrote:

While I agree that the level of access the original poster was...a bit too open, I cannot really agree with Mr. Loe's
position either.

Security, particularly cyber-security, is best implemented in layers.  So yes, you do need an anti-virus system, and
yes, you do need to apply MS security patches, and you do need firewalls, a DMZ, and ways to keep the users from
doing things on SCADA computers that they should not be doing.  But easy should never be a driver in security
decisions, it is much more secure to retrieve patches and virus sigs from an internal server, say little of the
internet connection bandwidth usage.

That said, the reality is that as reporting becomes just as mission critical as electricity or water or oil or gas
delivery, unfortunately, you can't just 'sneakernet' all the reporting data.  SCADA historical data in raw form is
like drinking from a fire hose.  So you have to distill it some way, and push it into a DMZ and then out to a
database server on the business network some way, so it can be combined with other data, sliced and diced, and mushed
into reports.  Why couldn't the connections allowed thru the firewall be outgoing only?  Then you need to make sure
the destination server on the business network is secure of course, but you're already doing that, yes?

There are other ways to support a SCADA network remotely other than through the internet, maybe they are as fast,
maybe not.  But that is a cost of basic security.

Now that right there is a good answer.

There is no simple one-liner answer, it depends what you are protecting and what you are risking.  You aren't
eliminating risk in any case, the question is really "how much effort are you willing to expend to lower your risk?"
As security folks we need to accept (no matter how reluctantly) the possibility that on occasion the folks asking to
make things easier could be right.  What we should be doing is putting up an appropriate amount of back-pressure on the
"just open it up" requests to result in a solution that balances the need for access with the management of risk.  That
may in fact be sneaker-net or it may be a well-thought-out connected solution as has been described: whatever solution
you put in place can be compromised by someone willing to expend enough resources on it.

-chris