Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Who stay focused? (was: [Fwd: Question])

From: Chris Blask <chris () blask org>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:15:23 -0700 (PDT)

Jean-Denis Gorin <jdgorin () computer org>

So, my question is: among all of you, old timer firewall wizards, how many stay
focused to infosec (and had kept a global view [2] of infosys) ?

Infosec is my only focus (as much as I have any) for creeping up on twenty years.  As for keeping a global view, I like
to think that is the core of my view of the field.  If it isn't about how we make things more secure *in the context of
the uses that the overall systems are put to* then I'd rather spend my time talking about really weird cheeses or
landscaping.

For them willing to know why I'm still lurking FW-wiz as I have quit the field,
I'm just trying to assess how fast the IT world will collapse in case of a major
security threat... (I already know who will survive this, and how ;) ).

Oh, I may be proven wrong in the end, but I don't see the IT world collapsing, ever.  That may depend on the definition
of "collapsing", I suppose - lots of regrettable/foolish/avoidable/nasty things happening at any given moment are
always within the realm of possibility - but The Whole Thing Coming Down for any appreciable period of time is not
something I expect to live to see.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Philipp K. Dick"

Classic quote! :~)

-chris