Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SCADA

From: "Bertolett, Richard" <Richard.Bertolett () ci austin tx us>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:54:06 -0500

While I agree that the level of access the original poster was...a bit too open, I cannot really agree with Mr. Loe's
position either.

Security, particularly cyber-security, is best implemented in layers.  So yes, you do need an anti-virus system, and
yes, you do need to apply MS security patches, and you do need firewalls, a DMZ, and ways to keep the users from doing
things on SCADA computers that they should not be doing.  But easy should never be a driver in security decisions, it
is much more secure to retrieve patches and virus sigs from an internal server, say little of the internet connection
bandwidth usage.

That said, the reality is that as reporting becomes just as mission critical as electricity or water or oil or gas
delivery, unfortunately, you can't just 'sneakernet' all the reporting data.  SCADA historical data in raw form is like
drinking from a fire hose.  So you have to distill it some way, and push it into a DMZ and then out to a database
server on the business network some way, so it can be combined with other data, sliced and diced, and mushed into
reports.  Why couldn't the connections allowed thru the firewall be outgoing only?  Then you need to make sure the
destination server on the business network is secure of course, but you're already doing that, yes?

There are other ways to support a SCADA network remotely other than through the internet, maybe they are as fast, maybe
not.  But that is a cost of basic security.

Rick Bertolett
Austin Water Utility