Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: IDS (was: FW appliance comparison)

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:11:24 +0300

nuqneH,

Not really the same. IDS may find some unexpected behavior originated
from inside that simply does not reach firewall. Say, a trojaned
laptop computer may scan internal network resources and send results out via
innocently-looking email (or even do it via different channel),
how can you detect this?

(well, we all know this should not happen because no notebooks
should be allowed in unrestricted, but still it does)

So there is still some use for IDS.

Another possible application is detecting breakin attempts in DMZ,
though responding to those is damn boring. A hybrid host-network
system helps much and even odious "signature base" is very useful
to know exactly what happens ;-)