Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Questions about converting FW-1 ruleset to PIX - sor t of...

From: nick leachman <nleachman () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:10:34 -0500

On 1/24/06, Ralf.Zessin () maxpert de <Ralf.Zessin () maxpert de> wrote:
Hi Nick,

One of the checkpoint rules denies traffic from all internal networks
for a group of specific ports destined to a group that contains all of
the DMZ servers and also to the DMZ network itself - a DMZ object
group.

My questions is: What is the purpose of having the the servers "and"
the dmz network listed in the destination? Is this necessary?

No, the information is redundant. But if there is above a rule which
explizit allows traffic which is blocked by this rule, this traffic
has to go through.

Checkpoint evaluates its rule form top to down and first ( not best )
match is taken.

But what is this for a rule-design where Ports/traffic are explicit denied
if it
was not an alert-rule ? Normaly all traffic has to be forbidden and
I have to *allow* traffic by rules.

        - Ralf

Thanks for the feedback Ralf - I'm glad to hear that I was
understanding the checkpoint rules correctly.

For the sake of trying to explain this checkpoint rule I
over-simplified it somewhat. It actually states "permit traffic
sourced from all internal networks to pass outbound (using the list of
ports) to anywhere EXCEPT the DMZ".

I guess this is a nice feature of the checkpoint to have a single rule
with this level of complexity; but I'd rather (we are creatures of
habit, after all :-) break it up into separate permit and deny rules.

Thanks again,
Nick