Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: IDS (was: FW appliance comparison)

From: Cat Okita <cat () reptiles org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:49:29 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Cat Okita wrote:
... but I'm not thinking of a 'little' bit of logging.  I'm thinking of
"look at everything that could -possibly- be of interest".

Isn't that what a "firewall" does?? I mean how could you call
the thing a "firewall" if it did less than that? That'd be pretty
lame, wouldn't it?

Heh.  You're right - I should have said "record everything that could
possibly be of interest" (which is not what I want my firewall to do -
I'd like it to record things I'm sure I care about)

At any rate, I think of my IDS and my firewall as fufilling different
albeit complimentary functions.  I want the IDS to be an overly sensitive
touchy-feely creature, while my firewall is in staunch denial, and
allows only the barest minimum through to its delicate innards[0] - and
this translates to the amount of logging and capture I expect out of
each.

From my IDS, the proverbial volumes of handwritten poorly spelled prose
and poetry decorated with florid petunias, and from my firewall the single typewritten sheet.

cheers!
[0] I suppose that the degree to which one might use 'delicate innards'
would vary according to the type of firewall - an application proxy
like Gaunlet might need to be considered a rumminant...