Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: RE: IDS

From: Chuck Swiger <chuck () codefab com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:22:52 -0500

Ben Nagy wrote:
[ ... ]
[Paul]
If you mean "unexpected internal host" then again, I'll say that there's likey been a larger policy or implementation failure. It doesn't take on-the-wire sniffing to see something new trying to relay through the relay
host on my network.

What's your preferred method for noticing this stuff? (I'm certainly not
being sarcastic here)
If an internal host is trying to reach port 25 on an external host (or even
a non-mailserver on the inside) then how do you suggest that should be
detected? The firewall deny logs will catch the outbound traffic, but now
we're talking log analysis tools or SIM products to pull the data. What
about the internal traffic from trusted host -> trusted host?

If you're not running a firewall that doesn't let you decide which rules should generate logging, then yes, you're going to need to do more work to analyze those logs.

However, some time ago, before viruses came with their own SMTP engines, an IPFW ruleset like this worked pretty well:

# permit SMTP exchange between pi and pong
add pass tcp from PI HIPORTS to PONG 25 setup
add pass tcp from PONG 25 to PI HIPORTS established

add pass tcp from PONG HIPORTS to PI 25 setup
add pass tcp from PI 25 to PONG HIPORTS established

# track SMTP from inside to outside and block SMTP from outside
add pass log logamount 20 tcp from INET HIPORTS to any 25 setup
add pass tcp from INET HIPORTS to any 25 established
add unreach filter-prohib log tcp from any to INET 25

[ Where PI and PONG are macros which expand to the IP addresses of my external MX relay and the internal reader box, HIPORTS means 1024-65535, and INET refers to the internal network. ]

--
-Chuck