Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Paul Foster <Paul.Foster () dmtsystems net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 02:30:09 +1000

Hi Mike,

You've articulated your opinion very well so I'll do my best to fuel the fire :)

Are members of a group permitted to use various public actions to ostracize
felons in order to demonstrate your personal opposition to actions committed
by the felon that offend your moral or ethical view?

And by extension: Does "boycotting" fall into the acceptable category of
"actions"?

My position would be, in this particular context, boycotting a conference
would have to be about the most benign form of making a statement I can
think of in todays world but it would definitely be a valid method for
expressing ones opinion.

I absolutely agree that this type of action is acceptable/ permissible. I personally don't see the point to it and challenge people to re-examine their thinking.

The world can be a frightening and violent place sometimes - just look at your examples of al-zarqawi, Saddam Hussein, pedophiles etc. Is it possible that your horror at world events is finding an outlet in the less hideous crimes such as those performed by Mitnick? It alarms me to hear comparisons of social engineering with some of the very brutal examples you cited. It is not my intent to offend, but the term 'FUD' certainly comes to mind.

I guess I'm guilty of supporting Mitnick as I purchased and read his book. I can unashamedly say that I'm a better security professional as a result - some of the social engineering examples opened my eyes to the multitude of high risk and non-technological threats to security. Without that insight I'd be less effective in my assessment of risk.

Does this mean I would place Mitnick in a position of trust, or condone the actions that led to his arrest? No. But I recognise the usefulness of the insight he can provide.

I applaud those who have chosen to boycott the conference. Mitnick brings a
bad name upon all of us every day that he and his ilk continue on working in
this industry. A black hat will always be a black hat no matter how much
white washing you try to do.

I still fail to see how Mitnick gives us all a bad name. As a security consultant has he peddled snake-oil or spread FUD? Not to my knowledge. He merely provides security assessments and leverages his experience as a 'bad guy'.

-PF