Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Paul Foster <Paul.Foster () dmtsystems net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:47:37 +1000

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:14:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
To: Mike Smith <jmikesmith () yahoo com>
Cc: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

To my mind the issue is that he's still *profiting* from  his crimes.
That doesn't do justice to the victims, nor does it send the right message
IMO.  Crime should not pay.

How so? He talks about how he would exploit security systems, and this is his area of expertise. The guy spent many enjoyable years in jail (on his knees?) which does not sound like 'crime pays' to me.

I think that the fettering should include profiting from whatever badness
the person did- hey, if he was lecturing on IPv6 security, then I don't
see as much of an issue.

Perhaps he doesn't know squat about IPv6. If we prevent him from legally earning a buck on issues he does know, we could inadvertently be encouraging use of those skills illegally.

I hope that in the future, CSI chooses its keynote speakers more
carefully.

Should we bury our heads in the sand and not learn from people like this?

-PF