Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re[2]: Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 10:08:17 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, gmx wrote:

Hello ArkanoiD,

i think, dividing the world into 'good' and 'bad' is an american
model... what is good ? What is bad ? Is good what conforms to our law
or justice ?If yes, it is good when morders are freed because of
missed proves ?

I disagree, the lines of good and bad pervade human history for long
periods before the USA existed.

As for the American justice system, while I can't fully defend it, the
principle that it's better that some bad people go free than any innocent
ones don't get jailed is a good principle.  Like any system, the practical
reality is that it doesn't work every time.

Is it good or bad if an 'hacker' breaks into a secret project, and
gets information eg. about HI-Virus, that its not natural, its a weapon
? Is that really 'bad' ? To say the truth

Yes it's bad.  Two wrongs do not make a right. Many people make excuses
for their poor behavior (My parents were divorced!  People were mean to me
in school!  They're too stupid to own computers!)  That doesn't excuse
their behavior one bit- you either behave well, or misbehave.  Society
either tolerates that, or doesn't.  Once again, the point of the original
thread was about people profiting from their misdeeds from those who are
supposed to protect folks from the same sort of misdeeds.

We've heard from all "sides," and I've resisted some of the more
philosophical debates because this really isn't the right place for all of
the detailed corner case stuff.  I think it's healthy that we've discussed
the issue, but at this point we're just into the "nobody on this side is
going to convince anyone on that side of anything" stage, so I'm going to
close the thread.  Sorry about the posts that didn't make it through, I'll
send individual notes back as i get through them.

Paul