Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 11:10:43 -0500 (EST)

"Bill Royds" <broyds () rogers com> wrote:

 One of the problems that giving such publicity to so many criminal
"ex-hackers" is that it makes it much more difficult for honest
security practitioners to do our job.
[snip]

In more ways that one, I should expect.  For example: Where's the
down-side in engaging in such criminal behaviour?  I execute a few (?)
high-profile cracks, become known as an Evil Genius, get arrested
(maybe not in that order), go to prison for a couple years or so, get
out, have a ready-made lucrative career in public speaking or security
consulting?

Speaking of security consulting: What kind of customer would hire a
security consulting firm that knowingly employed (ex-)criminals?

I understand the attraction of employing such people.  What I don't
understand is the "thinking" behind actually doing so.  I suspect it
has nothing whatsoever to do with improving a security company's
capabilities.

Jim