Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: Mark Teicher <mht3 () earthlink net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 09:33:12 -0700

Since this thread has become somewhat de-stabilized anyways, here are some additions to Bill Royds' response:

Most network security companies are moving away from the "Ethical Hacker" marketing slant or "We employ former Black-hat hackers or close to it" and have focused their marketing efforts on stating they offer Risk Mitigation Services.

I have no idea what Risk Mitigation Services definition is, but what immediately comes to mind is "The Orkin Man" commercials, Some guy in a white protective suit shows up with big cans of Firewall Spray, Spam-Away and Hacker Repellant and sprays around the network jacks, the employee cubicles and sprays liberally on network interfaces and cracks in the network (credit for Firewall Spray, Spam-Away and Hacket Repellant to MJR)

I am of a different opinion if your point that the very fact you acquired the knowledge to know something more than your management is what made them suspicious not that you had the ability to reproduce an exploit or a network intrusion. :)

/cheers