Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:07:04 -0500

-----Original Message-----
In more ways that one, I should expect.  For example: Where's the
down-side in engaging in such criminal behaviour?  I execute a few (?)
high-profile cracks, become known as an Evil Genius, get arrested
(maybe not in that order), go to prison for a couple years or so, get
out, have a ready-made lucrative career in public speaking or security
consulting?

The down-side would be going to prison for a couple of years.  There are
some things I simply refuse to consider where it comes to advancing my
career, and time in jail is at the top of that list without a close
second.

Speaking of security consulting: What kind of customer would hire a
security consulting firm that knowingly employed (ex-)criminals?
I understand the attraction of employing such people.  What I don't
understand is the "thinking" behind actually doing so.  I suspect it
has nothing whatsoever to do with improving a security company's
capabilities.

Cheap publicity, plain & simple.  Being a convicted felon is a huge mark
against you in trying to break into (no pun intended) the white collar
working world.  If folks like Kevin Mitnick didn't have the relative
celebrity to go with their criminal record, they'd be unemployable.  I
also believe that many firms hype this more than they actually practice
it, taking advantage of the media-driven mythology surrounding the
extremely small number of actually famous criminal hackers.

PaulM