Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Mason Schmitt <hr824 () sunwave net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:36:24 -0700

On May 10, 2004 12:48 pm, Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2004, Mason Schmitt wrote:
A recent SANS webcast talked about using true thin client hardware or
terminal server clients (and equivalents such as citrix, X, etc) for
providing remote users or risky users access to document stores, and
other LAN resources.  I think that using a thin client as a security
tool is a great idea.

Heh. What do they say? "Everything old is new again"?

It's bizarre how we follow ourselves around in circles.  It won't be long
before everyone gets fed up with centralization and then begins to
decentralize using P2P...

For the terminal server hardware, I've got a bit less to say [but are
you -sure- where that image came from?] - but in the case of the
software thin clients, you're -still- running on a platform with
unknown security, and reaching into the enterprise.  Thin clients also
don't address the question of having a box with a live connection to
the Internet and your enterprise - it just moves it around.

Yes, but the imposition of another layer (the terminal server) in between the
internal resource and the VPN client does give you extra separation and
potentially more fine grained control over who has access to what. So, rather
than having a VPN tunneling the big bad world into your network, you only
allow the VPN to talk to the terminal server.  From the terminal server you
should then be able to restrict access to only those resources that are
necessary.

I'm thinking of implementing this by putting a linux box in a DMZ running X
(listening to localhost only) and allowing ssh connections to the box and
then tunneling an X session through the ssh connection.  On the linux box, I
can use iptables to write rules based upon users and groups so that way I can
control each user's or each group's access to a particular resource.  Does
this seem like a reasonable approach to the problem for a small number of
users (5)?

None of my users need to actually grab files from a LAN fileserver and take
them elsewhere, they mostly need it to access in-house apps that are only
accessable on the LAN.

... and gets you back into a different set of headaches - provisioning
servers and links that are sturdy enough to handle a pile of remote
connections.

For a small number of remote users, this need not be a big headache.

--
Mason Schmitt