Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr <gwen () reptiles org>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:46:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 9 May 2004, Vinicius Moreira Mello wrote:
have being taking is to isolate mobile users in a network (or VLAN)
regardless of their security state. As most of the mobile user's needs
are to read/send e-mail and use the web, they are restricted, with
packet filters, to do just these activities. This minimizes the threat
and is a good solution for many companies and univerisities.

I'm generally amused by the extent to which people panic about mobile
users - often while failing to take basic precautions about their internal
users.

Beyond that, I think it's not accurate to presume that most mobile users
are satisfied with email and web access.  One of the recurring questions
that we receive from our mobile users is "How can I access <foo>", where
<foo> is typically a document store, or a customer-facing application,
like a parts ordering database.

Granted, you could probably work up a web interface for -everything-, but
that's getting into a completely different headache [and it's still a
pain to get documents edited...]

cheers!