Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: "Mike McNutt" <mike.mcnutt () aqssys com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:27:56 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr [mailto:gwen () reptiles org]
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 2:48 PM
To: Mason Schmitt

[...]

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Mason Schmitt wrote:
A recent SANS webcast talked about using true thin client
hardware or
terminal server clients (and equivalents such as citrix, X, etc) for
providing remote users or risky users access to document stores, and
other LAN resources.  I think that using a thin client as a security
tool is a great idea.

Heh. What do they say? "Everything old is new again"?

For the terminal server hardware, I've got a bit less to say [but are
you -sure- where that image came from?] - but in the case of the

Are you suggesting that someone/something can hijack a thin-client connection and provide
[accurate-in-terms-of-user-interaction] *false* images of the remote system?  Wow.  Never actually thought of that,
myself.  At first glimpse, the effort seems daunting (but I guess anything is possible).

software thin clients, you're -still- running on a platform with
unknown security, and reaching into the enterprise.

Care to expand on: "running on a platform with unknown security"?   Are you talking about the thin-client "client
application" itself?

Thin clients also
don't address the question of having a box with a live connection to
the Internet and your enterprise - it just moves it around.

What exactly is the "question" related to having a box on the Internet that you are referring to?  It sounds like you
are poo-pooing remote users' use of the Internet for connectivity to the office because the office has to maintain a
connection to the Internet...  Is that bad?  Or is it *potentially* bad?

The thin client gets around this headache nicely.

... and gets you back into a different set of headaches - provisioning
servers and links that are sturdy enough to handle a pile of remote
connections.

... Which puts the resolution back in the hands of the administrator, so he/she at least has a chance of
addressing/rectifying the problem.  I'll take that headache any day over the headche of reviewing/patching/protecting
my systems from the infected ones.  Not like there is actually a choice, though.

I don't understand what point you are trying to make here; thin clients like Citrix or TS (I can't speak to X)
certainly have a productive role for remote users and currently offer some real advantages over security concerns of
other approaches.  It's the functionality vs. security arguement; you must assess the risk before making your choice,
and thin-clients provide an awful lot of functionality for the security risk.