Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 15:57:57 +0000

2004-05-07T14:07:07 Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr:
Y'know... there was something to be said for uucp... ;>

You bring up a happy memory.

Some years back, I was asked to provide an ftp gateway service for a
b2b type relationship, where two networks with completely unrelated
IT departments, security policies, etc. touched.

ftp was requested by the other blokes, our folk didn't care what was
provided as long as I automated things to the point where it was
invisible to them, gave 'em drop-off and pick-up directories and
kept the real xfers invisible behind the scenes.

So I built a linux server on a throwaway PC, hooked it up to the
other folks' net, gave 'em the requested ftp access, then set up
uucp over a null modem cable to one of our servers, and scripted
cron jobs to automate the copies back 'n' forth.

Then forgot about it, it was left going for years.

There _was_ something to be said for uucp.

-Bennett