Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Worms, Air Gaps and Responsibility

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 09:55:18 -0400

On Thursday 06 May 2004 02:54 pm, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
On 06/05/04 10:34 -0400, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
On Wed, 5 May 2004, Carson Gaspar wrote:
I agree. My response was to you're "what excuse do they have"
question. In my specific industry, they have a bunch. Most other
industries don't make every single dollar based on timely,
accurate, electronic information. When your entire business is
manipulating flows of information, based on other flows of
information, limiting who can see what is a very tough job. Not
impossible, but extremely difficult, and very expensive.

But by the same token, that makes a massive network/node failure
all that more expensive- at some stage, we have to start taking
infrastructure seriously, and I'd argue that it's businesses that
rely on infrastructure so heavily that need to be in front of it.

How many businesses see good infrastructure as an asset, rather than
a cost? I would say that most businesses that I have had to deal with
have seen infrastructure as a cost to be minimised, rather than as a
necessary asset with associated costs. And even for those who do
think of it as infrastructure, the idea is to have one time capital
expenditure and low operating expenses, as with all other types of
captial investments.

Seems to me that this is where a functional risk management process
comes into play.  I don't mean risk management like the credit card or
insurance types talk about, I mean IT risk management . . . the kind
described in documents like GAO/AIMD-98-68, NIST SP 800-12, SP 800-30
and SP 800-64, CobiT, etc.  Theoretically, the reason for doing
security kinds of things is to protect the availability, integrity and
confidentiality of systems and data.  Now, I have a little experience
with on-line securities trading systems, a *lot* of experience with
institutional securities and bond trading systems and a *lot* of
experience with fx systems.  In my limited personal experience, system
uptime and availability was critical.  *Very* serious risk assessments
were done and a lot of hard work went into determining the trade-offs
between availability (which included connectivity) and the cost
(including convenience, etc.) of maintaining it.  In the end, no one
got exactly what they wanted, but the organization got an
infrastructure, a set of *policies*, a set of business and technical
processes and DR and Business Continuity strategy that it could live
with.  In my limited experience, infrastructure was seen as a critical
component of "The System."

I understand where you're coming from, I'd just like to see us all
make more coordinated and extensive efforts to revisit the
"connectivity trumps all" mantra.

Let me ask a harder question: How do you get the horse to drink?
Connectivity shows profits in the balance sheet. Security shows up as
expenses. Lack of downtime does not show up.

That depends.  Check the availability requirements in SLAs with
operations groups, telecom providers, etc.  Uptime requirements in some
cases range to 99.99%.  It certainly can be made to show up.  If it
doesn't, it's only because it's not important that it does . . .

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I always used incidents like this
last worm to get policy changes, validate the usefulness of
controls when we didn't get hit, and generally give the senior
execs ammo to crow about how well done their practical support of
security programs was.

What is needed is a way to convert security benefits into balance
sheet numbers. Once we work out a useful formula for that, then we
can actually hope for some beneficial changes in the mindset of
business management.

A good risk management process does that.  These things happen because
of the absence of a functioning risk management process and a lack of
accountability.  And I don't mean firing a Windows admin for not
applying a patch.

My $0.02.

George Capehart
--
George Capehart

capegeo at opengroup dot org

PGP Key ID: 0x63F0F642 available on most public key servers

"It is always possible to agglutenate multiple separate problems into a
 single complex interdependent solution.  In most cases this is a bad
 idea."  -- RFC 1925