Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Save The World (was: Antivirus vendor conspiracy theories)

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:57:06 -0500

Adam Shostack wrote:
| Isn't this amazing, if you think about it? Enterprise IT managers are
| such freakin' morons that they'd rather pay $50/year/desktop plus

So, I totally agree with what you're saying.  But I'm curious:  Are
they really morons, or is there a better explanation?

Well, obviously they aren't morons. I think that, really, what we are
seeing is a massive failure to think critically about certain problems.
That is not quite as bad as being a moron (it's cureable) but it's
kind of like one of those paradigms of ignorance that people sometimes
get trapped in. The Cargo Cults come to mind. Basically, it's a
feedback loop in which something that isn't working is attempted
increasingly aggressively rather than triggering a search for an
alternative. Or even an alternative explanation.

If you drink a couple of shots of tequila to clear your mind of
preconceptions and really think about this Internet Security
stuff, there's a couple of glaringly obvious alternatives that we,
as an industry, have chosen to not explore. What is the cost
of enumerating viruses and malware and running antivirus
software ($19/year/desktop...) versus the cost of telling the
system exactly what code you want to allow to run. (Hmmm,
let's see - I could define my desktop computer's "allow"
list in 3 seconds: Eudora, Opera, Photoshop, Powerpoint,
Word, and directory toolkit)    The obvious answer is "default
deny" rather than "default permit and block/enumerate all evil."
What's missing is the executive logic that looks at _all_
the costs in proportion. So, they're not morons - they just
are too short-sighted to look at the whole picture. (But then
these are the same !(&#!^$! dipsticks who think it's smart
to outsource mission-critical business processes to the
lowest bidder. It looks smart if all you look at is the cost.)

Is it easier to get budget for cleanup than prevention?  (Ie, are
their bosses the morons?)

The bosses of IT management are cut from the same
material. But they're probably better golfers. :)

I was talking to a very (_very_) senior government IT
manager a few months ago. During the same conversation
in which he described how they had spent millions and
millions of dollars trying to get a relatively straightforward
deployment of a commercial "off the shelf" product to work,
he  was shocked when I suggested that they could have
probably had custom-built software that was faster,
better, and less vulnerable to the common problems that
plagued the particular COTS code. Obviously, he'd drunk
the Kool-ade. Spending $1.2 million on a database, and
then throwing $200,000 at "securing" it - including an
infinite maintenance cycle involving patchnig - rather
than spending (at most) $300,000 to just Solve The Problem,
own it outright, and never pay maintenance. This guy
was not a business school graduate, so obviously the
brain damage is not a result of that particular curriculum -
but it's got to be coming from someplace. (Their application
is a static-coded database that you could probably write
a curses app and web-forms atop BSD-db b-trees and
hash tables and have a working prototype in a month)
Now, they are going to be blowing $200,000+ annually
in "maintenance" to the vendor of this buggy piece
of poo - and it's "security not my problem."   This government
agency is moving toward a "browser-enabled model"
for virtually all their computing. So I asked him if they
would consider ditching everyone's desktop machines
and replacing them with $100 Playstation-II consoles
with USB keyboards and a DVD-rom-bootable (tamper
proof!) browser. He looked at me as if my hair had just
burst into flames and I had announced that I was The
Antichrist.

For a very long time, now, the industry has been moving
away from "custom code" based on the premise that
software is a commodity and should be treated as
such. But that is obviously an inaccurate premise. If
you question the premise that software is a commodity,
you need to question all the "facts" that follow from it.

mjr.