Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Save The World (was: Antivirus vendor conspiracy theories)

From: ucxfoe <ucxfoe () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:19:01 +0000 (UTC)

Marcus J. Ranum <mjr <at> ranum.com> writes:

For a very long time, now, the industry has been moving
away from "custom code" based on the premise that
software is a commodity and should be treated as
such. But that is obviously an inaccurate premise. If
you question the premise that software is a commodity,
you need to question all the "facts" that follow from it.

If one accepts that "availability" is part of the security
mandate, one must accept that the catastrophic loss of availability
from my vendor falling under the wheels of a large company from
Redmond the day before my license keys expire is a valid type
of "availability" to worry about.

The costs associated with commodity software that is "good
enough" are like a form of business insurance.

/b