Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Save The World

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:27:26 -0800

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Crispin Cowan drank the Kool-ade and wrote:
The problem is that the bulk of sites that don't work are the most "corporate" ones: web casts.
You mean garbage like those things that let you automatically flip
powerpoints for a remote user to present a talk? Garbage that has
become popular because sales reps and marketing weenies are
apparently too stupid to tell their meeting attendees, "next slide,
please..." as they pause to collect their thoughts?   Yeah, we need
that garbage in order to do business. Not.
While that is one use for it, no that is not what I mean. If it was just "next slide please", then I agree that it would not be worth the bother.

But it is much more than that. Those webcast thingies can bitscrape anything off the desktop screen. Thus I can demo an interactive GUI onto a remote customer prospect's desktop to show them what our stuff looks like, without them having to install anything.

Most of the webconference software out there does not work with anything other than IE/Windows.
Then don't use it. It won't hurt you. Honestly.

When I'm buying stuff, I act like that, because it is my prerogative to shop elsewhere .

But when I am selling stuff, I need to cater to the customer's desires. And sometimes, the customer desires to see the stuff before they will give me a meeting. Sometimes, I desire to show the customer stuff before I spend the $$$$ on a plane ticket to show them in person. This is actually a valuable tool, and it annoys the crap out of me that it is (mostly) only supported on Windows/IE.

IMHO, this is by far the largest hole in the Linux desktop market that holds companies back from switching.
You've been drinking the Kool-ade, Crispin.

When they say "we're not switching because Linux doesn't have XYZ"
that's the same bullsh*t as the "security is a performance problem"
song. It's just the quickest excuse they could reach for to make you
Again, you're taking the wrong meaning.

My rant is not that we should just shrug and let 'em not switch. It is that there is a legitimate hole in the Linux desktop space, this is it, and some of these webcast service providers should step up and fill the hole. How the hell else am I supposed to market a Linux server product to customers using a Windows desktop unless the webcast product works cross-platform? Raindance? WebEX? Are you listening? This is your market calling :)

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com