Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads?

From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan () bmc com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 22:45:55 -0600

The problem with targeting outlook as the culpable product, not that it is
really an incorrect assessment, is that the market share leaders have always
and will always remain ripe targets for malicious use and abuse. Netscape
and Eudora aren't as exploited because they aren't as used (so what's the
fun in trying to break them) and Linux on the desktop... well, that is a
whole other can of worms I don't feel like opening. I remember when Novell
had security holes out the wazoo, and it seemed like you could rarely go a
week without some new vulnerability being found. Then all of a sudden it
seemed like the problems with Novell went away and a new piece of software
starting leaking like a sieve. I have always viewed this as part of the
software cycle. At the same time, I have yet to meet anyone who knows how to
effectively break this cycle. When and if some other piece of software comes
to the forefront and starts being used by a slew of people, there is little
doubt (at least in my mind) that it will also become the latest thing
security admins gripe about.

The problem here IMO is that people use product X because it does something
they want, need or think they need. As long as it meets those wants/needs,
and alternative do not exist (or at least do not exist in the minds of the
user), the users will continue to want, need or think they need it. Sure,
simple software is hard to exploit, but it also doesn't tend to do what
users want. As functionality is added, because customers want it, so are
bugs and vulnerabilities. The sad thing is, if the users do find an
alternative that meets their needs, and enough people follow suit, that
alternative will, if history proves anything, become the latest target of
abuse. And so the cycle continues... such is the nature of the beast.

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412