Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tunnel vs open a hole

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:24:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

George Capehart wrote:
Fair is fair.  You're right.  If the customers complained/sued, maybe it would get someone's attention . . .  ;-)

Y'know, when someone buys cigarettes and smokes them and enjoys
them for 20 years and doesn't quit even when their medical effects are
well-documented - then turns around and sues the tobacco manufacturers,
 I think they're pretty lame. I think they should accept that a certain amount
of their pain is of their own doing.

Naw, they should sue the federal gov't. in that case, afterall the feds
subsidised the industry for ages, and thus are a contributory to the pain
and misery.  The suits against BIG tobacco are just not seeking the proper
deep pockets in my mindset. <I still smoke, but, I know the risks and deal
with them as my own issues, till I put mind to trying the four letter out
(quit)>.  The real hyprocracy here is that the feds and states are part of
the suing parties against tobacco.

When someone beats their head against a wall, and it hurts and their
friends tell them to stop, they shouldn't sue the wall, or their friends. They
should accept that a certain amount of their pain is of their own doing.

<smile>  perhaps a better example...

When someone keeps using Microsoft IIS as a mission-critical component
in spite of the literally hundreds of security problems it's had in the last few
years - well. I think they should accept that a certain amount of their pain is
of their own doing.

One would have expected that the patch mightmare detailed in trying to
ptotect against slammer worm would have been enough to turn most winheads
back to unix OS', but habits dies hard, even if not reinforced with
nicotene addictions...

There's one easy way to complain to a vendor that sells crap: stop buying
the crap. They'll get the point pretty quickly. In fact, with the way most of
these software companies burn money they'll evaporate overnight.

Continuing to put your good money down on crap that you know is crap
eventually loses you your moral position from which to complain if what
you get is crap.

I still think you retracted your previous statement out here about
companies getting the security they are willing to pay for.  Afterall they
are the consuming end of the security industry.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!