Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tunnel vs open a hole

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:20:23 -0400

On Thursday 10 April 2003 05:19 pm, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

<snip>

Well, yes.  Aren't all things, in the end?

We are all of us accountable for governing our own actions.  This is
such a horrifying notion to many that they duck and run for cover.

Corporate identities, having no souls, must be governed and held
accountable by a BoD.  Which may also have no souls.

How does one get the attention of a BoD?  Two ways.  The smell of
money, and the smell of litigation.  The carrot and the stick.  In
the BoD of too many of today's companies, as Marcus has alluded to,
the Ds don't care about the company, the product, or the worker.
They care about the revered "bottom line".  And this doesn't even
refer to the actual worth of the company, its products, or its
revenues - nobody looks at that, nowadays.  When they report the
"worth" of a company, it's the price of a share of stock times the
number of shares.  A truly fake number!  But it directly impacts the
"bottom line" about which the directors are concerned - how much
THEIR shares are worth, and those of the share holders who are only
concerned about how much THEIR shares are worth.

Ahhhhh.  *Now* we're getting to the root cause (or "of all evil" . . .
sorry 'bout that.  Couldn't resist . . .  :-> )  In the end, it is all
an exercise in risk management . . . in every sense of the phrase.  And
the problem is, "M"anagement is not managing all its risks.  To
compound the problem, the stockholders are not managing the Board.
This seems like a sales opportunity for those of us who are InfoSec
professionals.  There *does* exist a well-defined IT governance model:
see http://www.isaca.org/cobit.htm.  There is also a model for
accountability that I personally like (but at which everyone would like
to duck and run for cover) . . . see
http://csrc.nist.gov/sec-cert/SP-800-37-v1.0.pdf (the certification and
accreditation process).  So there *does* exist a model for oversight
and a mechanism for accountability and assurance.  Just can't figure
out how to sell them.  Problem is, there is a tremendous educational
process that needs to happen before the patients realize they're sick,
and I haven't figured out how to fund the process . . .  8-(  It gets
back to Paul's analogy of the IT department as the Electoral College,
to which I subscribe, but it's *still* an educational process . . .

Sorry to be so cynical, but ...

Heh.  Don't think you're any more cynical than anyone who has been in
the business for a while . . .

--
George Capehart

PGP Key ID 63F0F642 at http://pgp.mit.edu

"We did a risk management review.  We concluded that there was no risk
 of any management."  -- Dilbert