Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tunnel vs open a hole

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () center osis gov>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:19:06 -0400

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:16:45AM -0400, George Capehart wrote:
To me this all ends up as a governance and accountability issue.  There
certainly is enough blame to go around.  This is not an intractable
problem.  IMHO, the reason it is not being managed is that no one is
being held accountable for not "doing it right."  Why is that?  It is
not important.  *That* makes it a governance issue.  How does one get
the attention of a Board of Directors?  Good question.
Someone/something got Bill Gates' attention . . .

Well, yes.  Aren't all things, in the end?

We are all of us accountable for governing our own actions.  This is
such a horrifying notion to many that they duck and run for cover.

Corporate identities, having no souls, must be governed and held
accountable by a BoD.  Which may also have no souls.

How does one get the attention of a BoD?  Two ways.  The smell of
money, and the smell of litigation.  The carrot and the stick.  In the
BoD of too many of today's companies, as Marcus has alluded to, the Ds
don't care about the company, the product, or the worker.  They care
about the revered "bottom line".  And this doesn't even refer to the
actual worth of the company, its products, or its revenues - nobody
looks at that, nowadays.  When they report the "worth" of a company,
it's the price of a share of stock times the number of shares.  A truly
fake number!  But it directly impacts the "bottom line" about which the
directors are concerned - how much THEIR shares are worth, and those of
the share holders who are only concerned about how much THEIR shares
are worth.  Today's stock market is little more than a Ponzi game where
the trick is to walk out of the game with as much loot as you can
before someone else does it to you.  My daughter does not understand
why I grimace when her "middle school" class enters the Washington Post
Stock Market game, compelling her class to read and try and bet on the
gambling pages - not the horse sheets, but the stock sheets.

Bill Gates' attention is no different, OBTW.

Sorry to be so cynical, but ...

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () center osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support                                     EMT-B