Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: tunnel vs open a hole

From: "Behm, Jeffrey L." <BehmJL () bvsg com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:14:50 -0500

Agreed!

This is one reason why a client I work for has implemented outbound http
proxying *with*
authentication required. While certainly not perfect, this helps keeps most
things
that require port 80 outbound to a minimum.

The biggest problem we have seen is that app developers don't understand how
handle a response from the proxy server that says "Hey, you tried to open a
new
connection but did not provide any credentials, so please authenticate."
Rather,
they just blindly assume its gonna work and apparently don't perform any
programming 101 error checking, and just let the app die a horrible
(but deserving :-)) death.

<pet peeve>
When will programmers begin (again) to do basic error checking?
</pet peeve>

Marcus J. Ranum spewed:
We made a big mistake when we started building
firewalls that
allowed outgoing connections that were not individually
authenticated and
associated with a human user's request.

mjr.
---