Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Contract Rates & CISSP or not

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:08:33 -0800

Darren Reed wrote:

One would hope that this would perhaps deter the snake oil security folk
from polluting the waters but there are guarantees in this world besides
death and taxes.

"Death, Taxes, and Imperfect Software: Surviving the Inevitable". Crispin Cowan, Calton Pu, and Heather Hinton. Presented at the New Security Paradigms Workshop 1998 <http://www-hsc.usc.edu/%7Eessin/nspw98.html> . Postscript <http://www.cse.ogi.edu/%7Ecrispin/bugtol.ps.gz> 130 KB, PDF <http://www.cse.ogi.edu/%7Ecrispin/bugtol.pdf> 92 KB. :-)

A different take on the CISSP issue is this: if people with the same
experience quote for the same job and the person with the CISSP gives
a somewhat higher quote (lets say $10/hr more), is the recruiter going
to go for the CISSP qualified person or the other?  I guess the question
I'm asking here is does the CISSP equate to X$/hr extra when it comes to
the consulting gig and if so, for what value of X ?

Personally, I use CISSP as a filter for who *not* to hire, as in "if they have a CISSP, I don't hire them". Rationalle: we do advanced R&D, so I'm shopping for brilliance, not competence & willingness to do drugery with dilligence. The CISSP (hopefully :-) assures a minimum level of competence, but IMHO the social filter of those who seek such certification makes them unlikely to be a brilliant innovater.

My position used to be much stronger: that certificates are for poseurs, give me a real degree or a Bugtraq pedigree, or don't bother. But I've mellowed in my old age :-)

In summary, I still look at CISSP's (and other certificates that don't start with "Bachelor's" or similar) as a negative mark, which I'm willing to overlook if the other factors are strong. I certainly will not pay extra for it.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.