Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Contract Rates & CISSP or not

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:04:33 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from R. DuFresne, sie wrote:

Of course, I met a few CISSP's that lacked cluelessness over the past fre
years.  Yet, I have been in the same boat as you, and even when dealing
with others tasked and supposed to be clued in the security realm of IT.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

Just one thing to remember in this questionaire over how much money people
charge is that the market is now considerably different to what it was
say the same time one or two years ago.  With all the glitz of IT jobs back
then due to "high salaries", I wouldn't be surprised to see the result being
close to a surplus of workers which can only mean that prices will go down
(supply exceeding demand).

One would hope that this would perhaps deter the snake oil security folk
from polluting the waters but there are guarantees in this world besides
death and taxes.

A different take on the CISSP issue is this: if people with the same
experience quote for the same job and the person with the CISSP gives
a somewhat higher quote (lets say $10/hr more), is the recruiter going
to go for the CISSP qualified person or the other?  I guess the question
I'm asking here is does the CISSP equate to X$/hr extra when it comes to
the consulting gig and if so, for what value of X ?

Darren

p.s. does it matter if it's @nfr.net or @nfr.com?