Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Contract Rates & CISSP or not

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:43:31 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Harry Tabak, sie wrote:
Crispin Cowan wrote:
<snip>
Personally, I use CISSP as a filter for who *not* to hire, as in "if
they have a CISSP, I don't hire them". Rationalle: we do advanced R&D,
so I'm shopping for brilliance, not competence & willingness to do
drugery with dilligence. The CISSP (hopefully :-) assures a minimum
level of competence, but IMHO the social filter of those who seek such
certification makes them unlikely to be a brilliant innovater.

<snip>
--

But would the resume of someone with "brilliance" get past the HR
gatekeeper without the magic keywords of "CISSP" or "PhD"?  Assuming

There are those that are hired through HR and then there are those that
get hired and HR have some work to do to make it happen.  You're more
likely to find those with "brilliance" don't go through HR.

Darren