Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: John Adams <jna () retina net>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:40:06 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, chandrakant mardhekar wrote:

hi all
my basic question is that can we limit bandwith to each protocols
such as ftp,pop,smtp,http,nntp so that i can give less bandwith to pop and
more to http is it possible with iptables and how

This isn't really something you'd do at the firewall, it's more of
something that you can do at the router level. MPLS or QoS is what you're
looking for here. You can tag associated packets and then decrease their
priority across the path. Go to Cisco's site and do a search on 'QoS'.

-john