Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Contract Rates & CISSP or not

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:44:24 -0500

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 08:01:20PM -0500, Harry Tabak wrote:
| Crispin Cowan wrote:
| > Personally, I use CISSP as a filter for who *not* to hire, as in "if
| > they have a CISSP, I don't hire them". Rationalle: we do advanced R&D,
| > so I'm shopping for brilliance, not competence & willingness to do
| > drugery with dilligence. The CISSP (hopefully :-) assures a minimum
| > level of competence, but IMHO the social filter of those who seek such
| > certification makes them unlikely to be a brilliant innovater.
|
| But would the resume of someone with "brilliance" get past the HR
| gatekeeper without the magic keywords of "CISSP" or "PhD"?  Assuming
| that you were with an organization that was sufficiently large to
| require an HR Dept, and assuming that you were too busy to personally
| screen a few hundred resumes.

I've been rejected by potential employers for not having a college
degree.  I was irked at the time, but thinking back, it's a useful two
way filter.  If you don't want to hire me because of that, after your
employees invite me in, I don't want to work for you.

The situation is slightly different moving internationally; dumb
bureaucrats exist in immigration agencies everywhere, and you can't
filter where you're going to live on that.

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume