Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security and the Government

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:31:54 -0500

Lance Spitzner wrote:

<snip>

I went to Mr. Horn's website to obtain his email address,
http://www.house.gov/horn/.  I found the address, but how he
uses email concerns me.  Remeber, this is one of the lead
congressmen involved in the USA's Information Technology.

  "Send e-mail to steve.horn () mail house gov.  Please
   include your full name and postal address, including
   ZIP code, since I respond by U.S. mail. Thank you."

What can one imply from this .... ?

First impression is not good.  I can envision several possibilities
about why that is, but none give me any warm fuzzies . . . :->

One possibility is that he's so paranoid about the House email system
that he won't use it.  Another is that he's a technophobe and won't use
it.  Another is that he doesn't know how to use email.  The most likely
and least unappealing scenario I can come up with is that he doesn't
handle his correspondence and the person/people who do don't know how to
use email and/or don't know how to manage it . . .

None of those make me feel like the future of government management and
information and technology are in very good hands . . .

But then I could be wrong . . .  8-}