Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security and the Government

From: "jeradonah" <jeradonah () fastmail ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:15:02 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:56:57 -0600 (CST), Lance Spitzner
<lance () spitzner net> wrote:

I have no idea where to post this, so I thought I would
bounce this off the peanut gallery :)

I decided to express some of my concerns about our government's
computer security to our representatives.  After some searching,
I found the "SUBCOMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT MANAGEMENT, INFORMATION
AND TECHNOLOGY" at http://www.house.gov/reform/gmit/index.htm.
The committee is chaired by Congressmen Stephen Horn, who
recently released the committee's first report on computer
security.

I went to Mr. Horn's website to obtain his email address,
http://www.house.gov/horn/.  I found the address, but how he
uses email concerns me.  Remeber, this is one of the lead
congressmen involved in the USA's Information Technology.

"Send e-mail to steve.horn () mail house gov.  Please
include your full name and postal address, including
ZIP code, since I respond by U.S. mail. Thank you."

What can one imply from this .... ?

that email is the last form of communication that congress respects.
the convention still is:

     personal phone calls (and especially visits) "show" that the
      constituent is *really* interested
     overnight mail also demonstrates constituent interest
     personal letters are ranked third
     email is ranked last.  indeed, email is often unread, not just
      unanswered (although you will prolly get an automated response).

this is really important to communicate with congress about computer/
security issues, as they have little experience with computers for the
most part and have no idea about the implications of their actions and
the bills they propose and/or pass.

i am including the "instruction set" from aip about science and
technology issues.  you can easily replace "science and
technology" with "computers and security" issues.  hope this helps...

(i commend you for making the effort.  more of us should do so...)

ac

http://www.aip.org/enews/fyi/1998/fyi98.071.htm

Communicating With Congress: Correspondence

Within the next few weeks, Congress will take steps to decide how
much money the federal government will spend next year on science and
technology programs. An important part of this process will be
constituent input.

Senators and representatives receive thousands of letters every
month. Members use this correspondence in making decisions on policy
and budgets. Over the years, most Members report that they receive
little mail about science and technology matters. Contrast this
situation with well-organized letter writing campaigns from other
interest groups, and predicting whose issues receive the most
attention is easy.

You can help to change this situation by spending a few minutes to
write to your representatives. Taking the time to write a letter
shows that you care about science and technology issues, and will
build support for S&T. Your correspondence will be more effective if
you follow these guidelines:

TIMING: A letter sent months before an issue is considered is likely
to be forgotten; one sent after Congress acts is a missed
opportunity. FYI will provide notice of key events.

BREVITY: Legislative staffs are severely overworked. Limit your
letter to one page and one subject. Resist the temptation to include
many enclosures -- they will, in all likelihood, not be read.

SCIENTIFIC JARGON: Most Members and their staffs freely admit that
they know little about most scientific issues. As appropriate, use a
few sentences to offer a nontechnical overview.

YOUR IDENTITY: Nothing is more frustrating for congressional staff
than trying to decipher an illegible signature -- worse, an entire
letter. Ensure that your letter is legible by typing it. Include your
name, home address, and telephone number.

E-MAIL: While some congressional offices are equipped to handle E-
mail, others are not. The safest course is to "snail" mail it.

FAXES: Many offices resent a fax campaign -- it clogs their machines
and uses their paper. Look next to any congressional fax machine and
you will find a congressional waste paper basket. Unless there are
severe time constraints, avoid faxing.

BE SPECIFIC: Congressional offices revolve around legislation. If
there is a bill number, cite it. If you do not know it, or if the
bill has not been introduced, be specific: "I write about the FY 1999
appropriation for...." Check our web site (http://www.aip.org/gov/)
under "Budget Information," which is organized by department/agency,
or contact us at fyi () aip org

USE THREE PARAGRAPHS: Paragraph 1: Explain your reason for writing.
Briefly describe your "credentials" or experience. Paragraph 2:
Describe the importance of the issue. Cite relevant facts and avoid
emotionalism. Frame your discussion from a national, rather than a
personal perspective. Paragraph 3: Request - not demand - a specific
action. Thank the Member for his/her consideration of your views.
Offer assistance.

ADDRESS STYLE: The post office prefers that you do not use office
numbers. The correct address style is:

The Honorable ______________
United States House of Representatives
Washington, D.C. 20515