Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security and the Government

From: "Guy D. Hadsall" <ghadsall () telcordia com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 08:59:36 -0500

In another life I worked in a govt agency as a LAN tech.  This agency was/is
responsible for crisis management on national scales.  Our Cabinet level
Director had an eMail address.  The rumor was that his sectry printed out all
his emails and walked them to him.  For years I thought they were joking since
he was heading up one of the largest interagency software integration systems
and especially since our agency was the VP's "Reinvention Lab".

One day I had a call from his staff to repair something in his suite of offices.
I found myself in his unoccupied office behind his computer cradenza.  It had a
monitor, a keyboard, a mouse, and even a laser jet printer.  But not a CPU.
Curious I asked my lead tech and he said that he's never touched a keyboard
since coming to DC.

Later I heard that he had his staff create a screen show for his "PC."  It was a
collection of screen prints that cycled during screen saver timeouts.

In is duties, he did not need a computer at his desk.  However in his position's
image he needed for others to believe that he knew not only how to type, but how
this technology could assist in his agencies reinvention.  In the end he was
successful in his duties leading that agency and to this day has probably never
touch that keyboard in his office.  He did not need to.

So the gig is up for another lead technocrat.  I hope he's prepared to start
using his keyboard.

GuyH
Telcordia Technologies

***DISCLAIMER: My opinion and experience are mine, not my employers.***