Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Security and the Government

From: Joe Dauncey <toothbrushhead () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 17:51:53 +0000

Lance,

I think that is a general statement on the ability of government to
legislate on technology.

I have a similar story.

About a year ago I was subscribed to a crypto mailing list, which
included dialogue on the UK governments recent controversial RIP Bill.
In case you weren't aware, it sets out the legislation on the
interception of data communications. After being on the list a few
weeks, one of the civil servants with responsibility for the Bill
subscribed to the list, and posted some comments to the discussion
taking place. As he concluded his note he apologised for any errors in
his post, as they'd only had email in the Home Office for a couple of
months and were just getting to grips with it!!

Joe

George Capehart wrote:

Lance Spitzner wrote:

<snip>

I went to Mr. Horn's website to obtain his email address,
http://www.house.gov/horn/.  I found the address, but how he
uses email concerns me.  Remeber, this is one of the lead
congressmen involved in the USA's Information Technology.

  "Send e-mail to steve.horn () mail house gov.  Please
   include your full name and postal address, including
   ZIP code, since I respond by U.S. mail. Thank you."

What can one imply from this .... ?

First impression is not good.  I can envision several possibilities
about why that is, but none give me any warm fuzzies . . . :->

One possibility is that he's so paranoid about the House email system
that he won't use it.  Another is that he's a technophobe and won't use
it.  Another is that he doesn't know how to use email.  The most likely
and least unappealing scenario I can come up with is that he doesn't
handle his correspondence and the person/people who do don't know how to
use email and/or don't know how to manage it . . .

None of those make me feel like the future of government management and
information and technology are in very good hands . . .

But then I could be wrong . . .  8-}

--
Joe Dauncey
toothbrushhead () yahoo com