Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Next Generation Security Architecture

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 06:00:06 +1100

In some email I received from Nigel Willson, sie wrote:
Not just Microsoft, it is a general problem with the quality
of software and innovation, especially when the codeset on a
PC is updated on a continual basis nowadays and executes
dynamic applets/controls from an un-trusted network.
[...]

Hmmm, perhaps I should clarify.

The real problems aren't just with software quality or capability
but with the organisation (Microsoft), where it has gotten to and
how people think of it.

If Microsoft has a product which might be appropriate then there
is a certain amount of the "you won't get sacked for buying M$"
mentality to combat, even if another vendor has a better product!

Then you get the M$ sales techs who are just plain arrogant and
rude - if it was upto me, I'd have kicked their asses out and not
invited them back after a particular sales rep. made a smart ass
comment about Java/Sun.  What's sad about that is Microsoft don't
appear to understnad Java from a customer point of view except as
a threat to themselves.

Another problem is Microsoft products only really work with other
Microsoft products so if you have a heterogeneous environment or have
plans to use non-Microsoft, your entire solution suffers as a result.

How do you build a generic framework using a generic architecture
when the products to be used are being provided by a company that
has no real desire to interoperate with others ?

Microsoft, as a problem, is more than just technical issues.

Darren

p.s. for some reason, this brings to mind a rather famous phrase:
"...we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender..."