Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Next Generation Security Architecture

From: Brian Ford <brford () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:50:17 -0500

Ng,

> What about things like the cisco
> LocalDirector? Although I'm not quite sure whether that's a reverse
> proxy or a tcp load balancer :-].

It's a dead product. Cisco now peddles Arrowpoint. ;-)

Buzzzz.  Sorry. Wrong answer.

We still sell LocalDirector (the load balancer) as a Enterprise product. Not everyone needs multi GigE feeds and speeds of the CSS switches (darn!).

Regarding

> AFAIK some of the commercial reverse proxies will perform authentication
> on behalf of the webserver.
and
Apart from the (imho fallacious) warm fuzzy feeling that "our real
webserver is no longer exposed to direct attack from the Internet", I don't
see value in a reverse proxy

Wouldn't the addition remove some of the load from the server. I know it does from mine. I use the Cut-through proxy in the PIX to authenticate users looking at my server (on the Cisco intranet).

Regards,

Brian