Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Next Generation Security Architecture

From: Nigel Willson <NWillson () tbg com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:21:59 -0700

Agree 100% that technology only plays a supporting role.

I ran security and enterprise management for Disney's
Internet presence and in operating technology was 20%.

Enterprises do need help, however, to dig out from what
they have today and to develop an architecture, in a 2-3
year plan that sets the direction, consolidates, integrates,
and in a migration strategy, begins to improve the complex
and fragmented reality of today. Or we can give up?

I wouldn't buy this one from vendor, it has to be a set of
open, integrated, and interoperable best-of-breed solutions
-- the distributed mainframe.

These solutions are still only emerging. Recent security
vendor consolidation has only served to create ugly suites
cobbled together, as Marcus states.

The standards are not there, lagging innovation as they always
will. So the architectural jigsaw puzzle needs some exceptions,
to support legacy commitments, to support tactical "fire"
solutions, to support un-planned new technologies and
developments, to support lack of budget/resources -- however the
puzzle needs to be defined.

I can itemize a strong value proposition from doing this and
the ROI is significant. The question is, how do you communicate
that when security has attained a bad connotation of an
impossible goal, too complex, insolvable, always flawed, etc.

Education? Or a workable set of architecture templates that
set a reasonable tiered and evolving standard, as a security
maturity capability model, raising the bar.

By defining architecture we can help incite the vendors to
build the technologies needed to fill the gaps. It'd be cool
if customers drove vendors, rather than vendors convince
customers that this is "the" technology that will solve your
security problems, hmmmm? Isn't this organic?

Companies do need to clean house. Complexity is the enemy of
security. Recent evolution has excerbated complexity, opening
backdoor opportunities. Enterprises feel a need to build
solid perimeters walls which are then extended to employee
homes, opened to partners and, penetrated through the need
to share and communicate richly as an object in  a community.

Infrastructure is a major investment for larger enterprises
and it is extremely expensive to change it. There is a
tendency to take something that was not designed for today's
networked economy and bolt-on new capabilities. This "chassis"
runs as expected, poorly and insecurely.

By putting all of that behind us and taking a fresh new look
at security, at this Firewall technology that is well past
its sell by date, a next generation architecture can be
developed that will get the enterprise where it needs to go,
in order to be agile and competitive in the network economy.

;-)

Nige.

Senior Consultant
iSecurity Program