Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Interesting DNS Traffic

From: The Unicorn <unicorn () blackhats org>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 14:59:18 +0200

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 09:49:29PM -0500, Andrew Fessler wrote:
I have seen some unusual things on my Cisco.

I have some access-lists setup.

I permit, SMTP, WWW, POP, IMAP, ECHO,ICMP and a few other ports as
well as 1024-65535 for inbound.

That theroetically should cover any inbound traffic.

However, I see DNS  requests and WWW requests come in where the souce
port on the packet originates in the 800 range rather than the
standard 1024-65535 range. Therefore the reply back is denied.

Example.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (879) -->   204.253.83.10 (53)

meaning a packet came in from the internet going to my DNS, however
the source port of the packet was 879.

I cant find any reason why they are having abnormal source ports,
should I worry about this? Should I open the 800 range ports? Seems
like opening my network more than I want to.

Could it be  that the site asking  for DNS info is  using (heavily used)
Windows  boxen? I  have seen  similar requests  (originating from  a low
order port) coming form Windows systems... Seems to be an implementation
"feature" from Micr$oft.

TIA
Andrew Fessler
Allegro

---end quoted text---

Ciao,
Unicorn.
--
     ,;( )_, )~\| A Truly Wise Man Never Plays   PGP: 64 07 5D 4C 3F 81 22 73