Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Interesting DNS Traffic

From: davidg () genmagic com (David Gillett)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:49:40 -0700

On 1 Jun 99, at 13:09, Ryan Russell wrote:

However, I see DNS  requests and WWW requests come in where the souce
port on the packet originates in the 800 range rather than the
standard 1024-65535 range. Therefore the reply back is denied.

Example.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (879) -->   204.253.83.10 (53)

meaning a packet came in from the internet going to my DNS, however
the source port of the packet was 879.

This means someone has an internal DNS server behind a Firewall-1
that is doing hide NAT, and you've borken his ability to do DNS lookups
to your site.

My opinion is that trying to derive any kind of security posture from
source ports of machines you don't control is pointless.

  While we don't (yet) block on it, I log a security alert if the source port
is 0 or 65535.  In a couple of instances, it has been obvious that the latter
was showing up on "attack" packets, where the sender was clearly not waiting
for a reply and three-way handshake process.
  Unfortunately, this value also occasionally shows up in legitimate traffic.

David G