Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Interesting DNS Traffic

From: "Andrew Fessler" <andrew () allegro net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 09:19:20 -0500

Unless I am being ignorant, doesnt this NOT comply with the RFC that
have to deal with return port numbers on all ip packets?

Andrew

Robert Graham <robert_david_graham () yahoo com> 5/31/99 6:38:36 PM

--- Andrew Fessler <andrew () allegro net> wrote:
However, I see DNS  requests and WWW requests come in where the
souce
port on the packet originates in the 800 range rather than the
standard 1024-65535 range. Therefore the reply back is denied.

The DNS traffic from low ports is somewhat normal, from my own
experience. I see LOTs of DNS traffic coming from ports lower than
1024
from machines browsing our website. Here are some example ports:

904 859 610 705 826 608 673 285 810 739 684 1 ???? 432 954 etc.

A lot of these are coming from machines that are themselves proxy
servers and firewalls, which I infer from the reverse DNS lookups
(the
names usually contain "fw" or "proxy"). One of them had the name
"fw1.etc.etc.", so this may be some "feature" of Checkpoint.

Rob.