Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ, defined.

From: Ken_Stephens () em fcnbd com
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:55:12 -0600

I think the point must be that we understand each other when we
communicate.  We do not need to agree on terms as long as we know the other
persons context and meaning.  I made the following point on the GreatCircle
list several years ago:

In the construction industry a "Firewall" is a solid, fire resistant or
fireproof surface that protects from fire penetration for some period of
time (x number of hours fire rating).  In our industry we build "Fire
Doors" not "Firewalls".  Fire Doors can be unlocked and opened to let
traffic flow under some situations (rules), but will still withstand attack
for some period of time when closed.  If you tried to explain network
firewalls to someone in the construction industry, you would be there a
long time trying to revise their view.

As professionals we must understand that terms may be used in a different
context even within our own industry.  The only protections we have are
diagrams, discussion and an open mind to other points of view.

Ken Stephens

Standard disclaimer applies
"Yes I said it!
No my employer didn't say it, may or may not think it or agree to agree
with it!"