Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DMZ, defined.

From: "Jon E. Hetty" <jehetty () online no>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:48:13 +0100

Hi there,

One might argue that since the third NIC is not technically 'behind' the
firewall (but simply on the same hardware), that it is in the DMZ.
Also, in my opinion,  there is nothing wrong with putting a machine in the
DMZ as long as you know what you are doing. Such a machine can be called a
'sacrificial lamb' for lack of a better word. You just have to accept the
risk of it being hacked and act accordingly.

 - Jon